Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October 29 - I'll Go On


"Perhaps it's done already, perhaps they have said me already, perhaps they have carried me to the threshold of my story, before the door that opens on my story, that would surprise me, if it opens, it will be I, it will be the silence, where I am, I don't know, I'll never know, in the silence you don't know, you must go on, I can't go on, I'll go on." [Samuel Beckett - The Unnamable (1954)]


Two more pages of Moses and Aaron: XVI. Scherzo "Send Them As Spies" orchestrated, then head out to teach, giving a somewhat impromptu presentation on early minimalism, and we sing (mostly in solfege) the first dozen or so motives in Terry Riley's In C, followed by a dictation on the second half of Richard Rodger's Do-Re-Mi from The Sound of Music, and thereafter Hiraoki Asakawa's diverting Alburger's Wrath and another fine piece by Matthew Cooper.



Off to Marin, grading papers at Celia's, negotiating a way through early Halloween traffic in San Anselmo, checking the box, and, there's checks, so looks like we'll be going on...



Home without much incident (though there was a bit of construction in Berkeley on the way over), and finish XVI. orchestration, beginning same for XVII. Chorus and Ballet - "Better to Have Died in Egypt."